Tuesday 7 December 2010

It's not true because I don't want it to be!

There is a difference between belief and make-believe, although some people don't seem to realise it.

I mentioned in a previous post about a conversation I had with two people about the Bible, and how I had presented evidence for the divine Source of Scripture that they could not refute, but despite that fact, they said they weren't going to do anything about it, and they maintained they were going to continue in atheism.

I asked one of them, "If you knew Christianity was true would you become a Christian?"  He answered no.  I told them that I didn't think they would have thought much of my intellectual integrity if they had given me evidence or proof for atheism and I replied by saying, "I don't have an answer to that, but I'm not going to investigate it or think about it, I'm just going to keep on believing."  I told them they would disdain me for my gullibility; they would despise me for my blind faith; they would dismiss me as closed-minded fool - and they'd be right to do so.  If you close your eyes to evidence that contradicts your view you are just being a coward.  So I told them that this was exactly what they were doing.  They were refusing to think about the evidence I had presented because they just didn't want it to be true.

Not thinking about God doesn't make Him go away - He is still there, and you have an appointment with Him (Romans 2 v 16).  Not examining the Bible doesn't make it false - it is still the Word of God, with a message of hope and salvation for all of us (2 Timothy 3 v 15).