Monday 8 August 2011

I don't know about that!

I encountered a "Jehovah's Witness" on the street one day as he was giving out his literature.  I asked him what his message was.  He told me he was telling them what the Bible says about the future, and then he asked me did I have any interest in these things. 

I replied that I had a great interest in these things!  I told him that there was a moment in my life when I recognised that the wrath of God was coming at me because of my sins, but I knew that the Lord Jesus had suffered for me at Calvary, He rose again from the dead, and was able and willing to save.  I told him that I turned to Christ for salvation, and that He saved me and entered my life as a living, loving reality.  I let this man know that my future bliss was secure because of Christ.

He looked at me sceptically and said, "I don't know about 'the wrath of God'", he didn't think that was a scriptural doctrine!  Now just pause a moment here.  This is another breath-taking example of the ignorance of this cult - he didn't know about the wrath of God - he didn't know it was right to talk about it!!!  I have mentioned this point before in regard to another subject (here), but I find it staggering that an organisation that proclaims that it is the only organisation in the world that preaches the Gospel has people out propagating the message who doesn't know about the wrath of God!

I have said before, if you are wanting a book in the Bible that gives you the doctrine of the Gospel, the book of Romans would be a pretty good one to go to, seeing this is what the whole letter is about!  Now is the wrath of God some obscure, hidden, hard to find doctrine of the Gospel? Eh, no!
Romans 1:18
For the wrath of God is revealed from heaven against all ungodliness and unrighteousness of men, who suppress the truth in unrighteousness,
But in accordance with your hardness and your impenitent heart you are treasuring up for yourself wrath in the day of wrath and revelation of the righteous judgment of God, 
but to those who are self-seeking and do not obey the truth, but obey unrighteousness—indignation and wrath,
 
But if our unrighteousness demonstrates the righteousness of God, what shall we say? Is God unjust who inflicts wrath? (I speak as a man.)
 
because the law brings about wrath; for where there is no law there is no transgression.
 
Much more then, having now been justified by His blood, we shall be saved from wrath through Him.
Romans 9:22
What if God, wanting to show His wrath and to make His power known, endured with much longsuffering the vessels of wrath prepared for destruction,

Romans 12:19
Beloved, do not avenge yourselves, but rather give place to wrath; for it is written, “Vengeance is Mine, I will repay,” says the Lord.

Why did he not know about this?  It's part and parcel of the Gospel!  The wrath of God is real, the wrath of God is coming, and the wrath of God is coming your way.  That's why we need to be saved, that's why Christ gave Himself at Calvary, and that's why you need Him.

I'll have more on my conversation with this man in subsequent posts.