Wednesday 14 March 2018

"That's just...my interpretation!"

I had a great chat yesterday with a man who was very friendly and willing to talk about the gospel and the evidence for it.


He asked me to give him some evidence, so I read to him from Psalm 22:
I am poured out like water,
And all My bones are out of joint;
My heart is like wax;
It has melted within Me.
My strength is dried up like a potsherd,
And My tongue clings to My jaws;
You have brought Me to the dust of death.
For dogs have surrounded Me;
The congregation of the wicked has enclosed Me.
They pierced My hands and My feet;
I can count all My bones.
They look and stare at Me.
They divide My garments among them,
And for My clothing they cast lots.
Psalm 22:14-18, NKJV

I asked him what this passage was about, and he told me without hesitation it was about the crucifixion. I told him that this passage was written about 1000 years before Christ and about 500 years before the Persians invented crucifixion.

My friend's response was, "But it's just your interpretation that it's talking about crucifixion." I told him, "It was actually your interpretation. You're the one who told me what it's about."

Some things are so clear that they aren't a matter of interpretation. This is one of them.