Wednesday 28 October 2015

More scepticism needed!

I was speaking to a man who told me he was sceptical about the claim that the Bible is the Word of God.

I used a tactic I have used many times, and read to him from Psalm 22. He knew right away that it was a passage about the crucifixion of Jesus. I pointed out to him that the passage was written 1000 years before Christ, and hundreds of years before the invention of crucifixion, yet the details are unmistakable. He said he wasn't sure how to explain that.

I asked him what he would think if I told him that tomorrow afternoon at 4:15 a red Ford Focus would come down the street, and I gave him the registration number, a description of the driver and a description of the passengers, and then tomorrow at 4:15 the car I described came down, with the people in it exactly fitting the description I had given. He said, "The sceptic in me would think it was a set up."

"Exactly!" I said. There's absolutely no way you would be so gullible to suppose anything else. Of course it was a set up. The thing I want to know is, why do you throw your scepticism out of the window and think that somehow this all just happened by chance to exactly match events hundreds of years in the future? Why not utilise your scepticism and admit, This is a set up! and accept that the only one with the ability to set it up is the God who transcends time and spans the generations.

Those who claim to be sceptics, very often aren't sceptical enough! They are prepared to accept any crazy conclusion as long as it keeps God out of the picture. Be sceptical enough not to be fooled - the fulfilled prophecies of Scripture were obviously a set up; as the early Christians said,
For truly against Your holy Servant Jesus, who You anointed, both Herod and Pontius Pilate, with the Gentiles and the people of Israel, were gathered together to do whatever Your hand and Your purpose determined before to be done." (Acts 4:27-28)