Wednesday 11 April 2012

I'm glad he's not my dad!

I was listening to a debate between William Lane Craig (Christian) and Shabir Ally (Muslim) (found here).

In the course of the debate William Lane Craig was pointing out that the Muslim concept of God was inadequate for various reasons, one of which was that Allah is not all-loving, i.e. there are many people that he is explicitly said not to love, and that He only loves those who love Him.  Shabir's response to this was that Allah is using this language as a threat to people to be good, in much the same way that a father would say to his child "If you keep doing that I won't love you anymore!"

When I heard that I could only be thankful that Shabir Ally is not my dad, and that Allah is not my God!

For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in Him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

But God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us.

Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners; of whom I am chief

This man who called himself the chief of sinners elsewhere said:
The Son of God who loved me, and gave Himself for me.

It is not that God only loves those who love Him, but rather He loves those who have no love to Him, and the Christian says, "We love Him because He first loved us" (1 John 4 v 19).

No matter who you are, no matter what you've done, and no matter where you've been, God's love reaches out to you, and His salvation in Christ is offered to you.  If we had to be good enough to earn God's love, none could qualify, but because it's not dependent on our performance, all of us qualify. 

A welcome awaits you with God.  Cleansing and forgiveness can be yours.  Turn from your sin, and your own way, and turn to the Saviour, the Lord Jesus Christ, who died for sinners and rose again.  He will not turn you away.